Week 0 - Introduction
I suppose we've all heard someone, most likely a parent or another family member, saying that we should stay away from drugs. However how do we define 'drugs'? Lets take cocaine for example. Cocaine is a white powdery substance, extracted from the plant Coca. After administering the drug, a brain hormone called dopamine is released in the brain area known as the reward system, which we interpret as pleasure, leading us to perform that behavior again, with the hopes of getting that dopamine rush again. You know what else is a white powdery substance and also has an effect on the release of dopamine in the brain? Sugar! And not only that, both substance have another thing in common - they are very addictive and have very negative effects on health and well-being, which I would come back to in the coming weeks.
I've always considered myself a disciplined person. I have been exercising consistently for 5 years and have kept my diet, what I considered, 'healthy'. However there was just one thing I struggled with. Although I would go days and even weeks with consuming very little sugar, I would eventually crash and binge on some doughnuts, chocolate and/or 1L tub of Oreo ice cream. Whenever I did this I would feel really bad afterwards. I felt like I threw away everything I had worked for the past days or weeks. And I couldn't understand why. Until I started researching sugar and how ti affects the brain. Starting next week I shall remove refined sugar entirely from my diet. This blog is intended to monitor and update my experience and maybe help out somebody who has a hard time giving up sweets.
Comments
Post a Comment