Week 3 - Wednesday - How You're Being Lied To Part 1 - 'Low fat' and 'Fat Free'

Right, this is  a very complicated topic and I highly suggest you read/watch the articles/videos I will post below as I have a limited word count and wount go into extensive detail. So all I want you to know is that there are three main macronutrients you're body uses in order to funciton normally and keep you healthy are protein, carbohidrates and fats (see link one for extensive explanation). The one I want to focus on is fats.

Fats are the macronutirent responsible for the regulation of certain hormones as well as the assitant in helping you digest the food you eat. They are the macronutrient highest in calories - 9kcal comapred to protein and carbs which have 4. It also adds flavour to a lot of foods, hence why oils are so widely used in cooking. Now here is where it gets complciated, some fats are good and some are bad. The good kind of fats are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which have been shown  to lower cholesterol and decrease chacnes of heart desease. Foods high in these fats are avocados, chia seeds, nuts and others. The bad fats are saturated fats adn tehy have the reverse effect. Foods high in these fats are red meats, dairy foods, lard and many, many more (see second article for extensive explanation of this).

Heres the point I'm trying to make - fats are not always bad, where is refined sugar is! Be very carefull when you're shopping and you stumble upon  a 'low fat' or 'fat free' foods. I would suggest to never buy them as they tend to be, if not high in sugar, then high in artificial sweetners, which are arguably worse and my next post will be about them. (check out artcle three for more info on this marketing scheme). I would highly suggest to learn how to read labels properly for your own sake. 


Thats all for this post. 
See ya when I see ya x



Article 1: http://www.innerbody.com/nutrition/macronutrients
Article 2: https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/features/skinny-fat-good-fats-bad-fats#1
Article 3: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10668189/Low-fat-foods-stuffed-with-harmful-levels-of-sugar.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Thursday - Fruits are just sugar, right?

Week 1 - Wednesday - Diet and Why Weight Doesn't Really Matter