Week 1 - Wednesday - Diet and Why Weight Doesn't Really Matter
These first few days have been quite fascinating. I had no issues on Monday but Tuesday and Wednesday were tough. I was feeling lightheaded and had a hard time concentrating. Hopefully, this goes away soon.
Throughout this journey I will be eating a low fat, wholegrain, vegan diet. The reason why I chose this diet is because there is an overwhelming evidence that this kind of diet is very beneficial. For example first study I've cited below showed cardio vascular disease reversed, when subject were put on a low fat, wholegrain vegan diet. Apart from having the lowest risk of developing heart disease, vegans have also been shown to have the lowest Body Mass Index as well as the lowest risk of developing type 2 diabetes (see studies 2 and 3).
I have also came across studies which indicate a positive relationship between the consumption of meat and weight gain (see study 4), although I would suggest that you should not focus on weight as there are a number of factors that come into play when discussing weight. For example, lets say Bob want to lose weight and has been working out consistently and following a struck nutrition regiment for 6 months. Lets say at the begging he weighted 80kg and at the end of the 6th month he was 75kg. You might say that's not a huge drop and that he wasted his time. Well, you should take into consideration that he might have lost fat and gained muscle. If you take up some sort of physical activity as a beginner, you will lose fat and gain muscle (in most cases). I will expand upon this in my next post which will discuss calories and the impact of sugar on weight gain.
1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25198208
2) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2671114/
3) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18481955
4) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20592131
Throughout this journey I will be eating a low fat, wholegrain, vegan diet. The reason why I chose this diet is because there is an overwhelming evidence that this kind of diet is very beneficial. For example first study I've cited below showed cardio vascular disease reversed, when subject were put on a low fat, wholegrain vegan diet. Apart from having the lowest risk of developing heart disease, vegans have also been shown to have the lowest Body Mass Index as well as the lowest risk of developing type 2 diabetes (see studies 2 and 3).
I have also came across studies which indicate a positive relationship between the consumption of meat and weight gain (see study 4), although I would suggest that you should not focus on weight as there are a number of factors that come into play when discussing weight. For example, lets say Bob want to lose weight and has been working out consistently and following a struck nutrition regiment for 6 months. Lets say at the begging he weighted 80kg and at the end of the 6th month he was 75kg. You might say that's not a huge drop and that he wasted his time. Well, you should take into consideration that he might have lost fat and gained muscle. If you take up some sort of physical activity as a beginner, you will lose fat and gain muscle (in most cases). I will expand upon this in my next post which will discuss calories and the impact of sugar on weight gain.
1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25198208
2) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2671114/
3) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18481955
4) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20592131

Comments
Post a Comment